Sunday, September 29, 2019

Random Connections with Strangers


Now that I’m in the last third of my life, I push myself to use public transportation. After an empty bus to NYC last Thursday, I met a philosophical taxi driver. His optimism as he swerved through traffic buoyed me.

During my twenty-block walk to my next bus on Friday morning, I had quick eye connect with the actress Scarlett Johansson. As I lugged my wheeled suitcase up a hill, I eavesdropped on a father with his beautiful young son. On the bus to Montauk, NY, I watched a woman my age as she flipped her grey, long hair and connected with the bus driver. Their words sounded trivial but I could hear warmth behind them.

The way back home proved even more fruitful. From sunny, serene Montauk, which I call a cross between Hawaii and Vermont, a dog and a baby boarded the bus. I had just spent the weekend with my fabulous, seven-week-old grandson, who charmed me deeply but also cried a lot. On the bus, this baby cried a lot. The air conditioning didn’t work, and none of us were happy. All of us, including the dog, panted with open mouths.

In NYC, I walked a new street to Port Authority for my final bus, but somehow got the time balled up and planted myself on the floor for an hour wait. A chatty young woman opened her heart to me with tales of all she had seen in three days in that glorious city. Then, on the bus, a blue eyed, blond woman sat next to me. That two-hour trip seemed like ten minutes, as we quizzed each other about our lives. I loved the story of her adoption of twin boys from Haiti, fifteen years prior, and I giggled at her reaction when she texted her daughter with a psychic prediction I had made and it turned out to be true.

It’s odd and delightful to connect with strangers. It’s a slice of love, and a bit like being a part of a couple, but only for a moment or an hour. I do know that love comes in all forms, so catch it where you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment