Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Book Sales Down, Other Businesses Up

I’m psychic, but I often can’t tell my own future. I thought my fiction book, Carriers of Genius: Conversations with the Mothers of Twelve Famous Men, would sell in the thousands. It’s done alright, but I haven’t hit my goal. During the past year, I pushed, then privately worried and pouted.

When I paid my quarterly taxes, I started thinking. How did my book affect my other businesses, if at all? When I looked at the figures, I realized my income had bumped up 30%, and in some months, 50%. Nothing else had changed, so it had to be my book.

I’m self-employed, and I work as both a psychic and a private piano and voice teacher. Psychics are often perceived as kooky and uneducated, so maybe my clients were shocked that I had the self-discipline to pull it off. As a teacher, I asked all my students to buy my book, and they did. In their eyes, I went from a one dimensional older woman to a two dimensional author.

Life twists us all up, and doesn’t go the way we plan. I know I have a lifetime to sell my book, and in the meantime, I took four vacations in three months. How can I care where my success hit? Like love, intuition is not an exact science. 

No comments:

Post a Comment